Go Back   2023 2024 MBA > MBA > Main Forum

Old 27th April 2021, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology B.Sc - Chemistry SCY1313 Physical Chemistry-I Syllabus

Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology B.Sc - Chemistry SCY1313 Physical Chemistry-I Syllabus

SATHYABAMA INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY DEPT. OF CHEMISTRY

SCY 1313 PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY-I
L T P Credits Total Marks
3 1 0 4 100

UNIT 1 THERMODYNAMICS-I 12 Hrs
State functions E and H – Concept of ideal gas: Gas laws, Kinetic theory of gases – postulates and derivation – Deviation from ideal behaviour – Vander-
Waals equation of state – derivation – First law of thermodynamics - Applications of the laws of thermodynamics to ideal gases: Heat capacity, relation
between CP and CV – Isothermal process: Change in internal energy, work done, W (rev) and W (irrev) – Adiabatic process: work done, and entropy
changes – Application of the laws of thermodynamics to real (vander Waals) gases: Isothermal process – Work done, change in internal energy, heat
absorbed – Adiabatic process: Work done – Joule-Thomson effect – Joule-Thomson coefficient and its significance, inversion temperatures – Variation of
enthalpy change of reaction with temperature (Kirchoff’s equation) – Zeroth law of thermodynamics.

UNIT 2 ELECTROCHEMISTRY-I 12 Hrs
Metallic and electrolytic conductors – Faraday’s laws of electrolysis – Specific, equivalent and molar conductance – Determination of conductance –
Variation of equivalent conductance with dilution – Kohlrausch’s law and its applications – Transport number – Absolute velocity of ions and ionic mobility –
Determination of transport number – Hittorf’s method and moving boundary method – Applications of conductance measurements – Determination of i)
Ionic product of water, ii) Solubility of sparingly soluble salt and iii) Degree of dissociation – Conductometric titrations.

UNIT 3 THEORIES OF IONISATION 12 Hrs
Arrhenius theory of electrolytic dissociation – Ostwald’s dilution law – Limitations of Arrhenius theory – Theory of strong electrolytes – Debye-Huckel-
Onsager theory – Inter-ionic effect – Asymmetry effect – Electrophoretic effect – Debye-Falkenhagen effect – Wien effect – Mean activity coefficient – Ionic
strength – Limiting law equation,

UNIT 4 CHEMICAL KINETICS-I 12 Hrs
Rate of reaction – Factors influencing rates of reactions – Order and molecularity of reaction – Derivation of rate constant of Zero, First, Second, Third,
Pseudo-order reactions – Half-life of reaction – Determination of order of reaction – Integration method, Graphical method, Half-life method.

UNIT 5 PHASE EQUILIBRIA 12 Hrs
Gibb's phase rule: Terms-phase, component and degree of freedom – Phase diagram of one component system - Water and Sulphur systems – Reduced
phase rule – Phase diagram of two component system – Simple eutectic – Pb-Ag systems, desilverisation of lead – Phase diagram of system with
compound formation with congruent melting point – Mg-Zn and FeCl3-Water system – Incongruent melting point – Na-K system.
Max. 60 Hrs.

COURSE OUTCOMES
On completion of the course, student will be able to:
CO1:Learn the basics of law of thermodynamics.
CO2:Analyze and interpret the laws of thermodynamics and its applications.
CO3iscuss the importance of conductance of electrolytic solutions.
CO4:Learn and understand the advanced electrochemistry.
CO5:Understand the derivation of rate laws.
CO6:Construct and interpret the phase diagram for one component and two component systems.

TEXT/REFERENCE BOOKS
1. B. R. Puri and L.R. Sharma, Principles of Physical Chemistry, Shoban Lal Nagin Chandand Co. 23rd edition, 1993.
2. ArunBahl, B. S. Bahl and G. D. Tuli, Essentials of Physical Chemistry, S. Chand publishing, 2012
3. P.W. Atkins, Physical Chemistry, 7th ed.,Oxford university press, 2001.
4. Glasston & Lewis, Physical Chemistry, 2nd Edition, McMillan publishers, 1973
5. A.S. Negi and S. C. Anand, A Textbook of Physical Chemistry, New Age International, 2004

END SEMESTER EXAM QUESTION PAPER PATTERN
Max. Marks: 100 Exam Duration: 3 Hrs.
PART A: 10 Questions of 2 Marks each-No choice 20 Marks
PART B: 2 Questions from each unit of internal choice, each carrying 16 Marks. 80 Marks
(Out of 100 Marks, maximum of 10% problems may be asked.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message